Sunday, October 25, 2009

Fungi in the Park (underfoot jewels)

Sometimes when we walk we really don't see whats underfoot.


During an excursion to the preserve I noticed that I was paying attention to what was further away, at me eye level, and above. Of course I was looking at the path to where I was headed but wasn't paying attention to what was actually there on the ground. Sure I saw leaves and grass and rocks and things but it was a given that these things were there. I have a tendency to walk fast so I don't really see what there is on the ground except what might trip me. Fortunately something had made a noise just yards from me so I froze in my track to concentrate on where it was. Probably some squirrel for all I know. But as I looked down to continue I did notice something that didn't look right. There was a little group of mushrooms right where I was going to put my foot. So instead of continuing on I decided to start photographing these little jewels that were underfoot.


Knowing they will not be around for very long they, at the least, will be preserved by a photograph. Anyhow the rest of the day I spent looking down and focusing what was underfoot and looking up to make sure I wouldn't get whacked by a limb or run right into a tree. I did manage to find several areas that had mushrooms and other sorts of fungi but most of what I saw were plate or shelf fungi. A few of which I took to add mass to my excursion. I am sure there is a time at which these mushrooms and fungi are abundant and I am pretty sure it wasn't right then and there either.


Well so much for a day in my life. I learned that looking at where you're going to be on the path ahead isn't as exciting when you don't pay attention to what's holding up your feet. Enjoy these three photos. There are more on my zenfolio site under the Fungi in the park gallery.

Peace!
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment