Monday, November 2, 2009

Just another day!


So here is Sunday and I'm on my way to my parents house to return and get stuff. A downrigging event was taking place in Chestertown. However it was it's last day and there were just 2 ships that I saw on my way through. Not having too much time to shoot I didn't spend the time to actually scope out a good place to shoot from. Apparently there were, during the peak of the event, at least 8 major tall ships and a slew of smaller schooners and other masted ships were at the city docks. most of them were available to sail on.
I love the looks of these ships. I thought to myself this is really the first time I've actually seen one of these at sail and moving down a river. Oh sure I've seen them docked but never in motion. And I have been on a schooner before while in Belize (which was awesome BTW) but not an old school ship. Quite a feast for the eyes. All that rope just boggles the mind. How does anyone keep it all straight and not if the more traditional "spaghetti look" that most of us seem to get rope of any kind in to. LOL


The craftsmanship that goes into these ships is just amazing. I've only seen this level of workmanship on some of the million dollar homes I used to trim out. The day was shot for the most part because of the rain and as you can see by the white tarp over the main deck in the first photo. So I didn't stick around and on to my parents I went happy that I, at least, did manage to get a shot or two in.

While at the house they had a pomegranate sitting on the counter which their friends gave them. I inquired about it and was assigned the task of opening this little wonderfood. Okay maybe not so little it's about the size of a softball. The proper way to open one is to cut the top off 1/2 inch below the crown. Okay, no problem, I cut it and of course I get a little splash from the process (all over the place). the next thing is to score the skin at the sections. So the directions say. There were supposed to be about 4 to 6 sections but I seemed to have counted at least eight. This time I concentrated a little bit more on the cutting as to not cut through and squirt out more juice. Done, so the next thing is to open it up kinda like an orange on the sections and then loosen the fleshy seeds into a bowl full of water. Okay now that really didn't work out like planned. Loosen is not the term that should have been used. More like use your fingers to remove the seeds from their white puffy sheets of whatever type of membrane you want to call it. The water is to separate the white stuff from the seeds. Needless to say we got all the seeds out and free of white membrane ready to eat.


Hmm.. Now I tried a spoonful and found that the seeds made the whole thing a tiny bit bitter. Si here I go and take a metal strainer and proceeded to use a spoon to squish the seeds into releasing their juice. Oh they did, everywhere on the counter and on my shirt. I only did half of the seeds. Seems my father likes the seeds so he now has a bunch to eat for himself. Off went the shirt and into the washer before the stains could set borrowed a shirt and cleaned up the mess. After all that hard work I got exactly three shots of pomegranate juice. After tasting a good dose of it we decided to add Citroen vodka to it and that really set it right. Nice tasty full of anti-oxidants with a lemon kick. Yummy.. Next time I'll just buy a press to press the juice out. That was an hour worth of work for three tasty shots. No wonder the stuff is expensive.

Hope you have enjoyed reading about my day as much as I had having it. Till next time,
Peace!
B

No comments:

Post a Comment