Friday, September 4, 2009

Said the Spider to the Fly









" Will you walk into my parlor?" said the spider to the fly,
"Tis the prettiest little parlor that ever you did spy; The way into my parlor is up a winding stair, And I've a many courious things to shew when you are there. "Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "to ask me is in vain, For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again ......"
-
Mary Howitt



Well now here's a tid bit of info for ya!
For those that are squeamish about spiders, please don't hit your monitor with your shoe, I wont be held responsible and it will still be up on this web site.
Down at the in-laws house there was this huge web and a huge spider in the center of this web. So out came the camera, of course, and the 105mm macro lens. I love this lens even if it isn't a Nikkor lens it is still a sharp lens. Back to the web in the photo above. This was accomplished using a flash off camera to the left to get the web to seriously stand out.
If you look you'll see little tiny fly's that got trapped. The sun was getting ready to set and the clouds were getting ready to roll in.

Now here is the huge spider that I got too close even for myself, we're talking only about 6 inches, close enough for it to jump and take a bite. It was not happy I was there taking is photograph to begin with. Through all that it was very interesting to be able to get the rest of the web to the left lit up enough to show. The web was about 3 foot in diameter and it's body is alost 2 inches long. So here it is sitting in the middle of it's recent creation waiting for a meal. Funny thing is the right side of the web is attached to a swing chair and on the arm which goes up to the caonopy is, yep! a fly. This fly was sitting there on the arm and didn't even budge when I got close enough to photograph it. Two times, 4 times, it moved when lightning stuck up in the clouds above us. Here is that fly.

























Now fortunate for the fly , unfortunate for the spider these storm clouds made a little wind and rain and destroyed the web. I've gone to look for the spider but with no luck.

Well now I hope you all have enjoyed my little story. Of course comments are always welcome.
Peace,
Brian

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brian cool little story, great close up of the spider. Man spiders are ugly but very interesting creatures.
    I will be looking forward to some more of your posts.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete