Saturday, August 8, 2009

A Past Event


I’m Back!

Hello again my avid readers (all 3 of you). This time I actually have a few event photos with me to share. These are from a Microbrewery festival. Hmm…Beer. Awesome!

These were taken at the Union Mills Homestead in Carroll County, MD. Of course it was held well after the beautiful sunrise and ended well before the beautiful sunset so no golden hour to have to help with the photos. Okay so anyhow I needed 6 photos for the spread. I know it’s a lot but that what they wanted and so that’s what they get. Here I am only going to post 3.

I figure that I would need to show people coming into the cordoned off area and I really didn’t feel like showing all the pretty yellow tape with bold black letter stating “DO NOT CROSS” upside down as well. My first thought is to have the people face me as they come in through the gate but then the yellow tape just really ruined it for me. So I go over to the gate and looked around for a good shot to no avail until I turned around. I saw a road leading away from me….at an angle…and people are walking this road to get to the business end of the festival. Even though you can’t tell here that this is a beer drinkers festival but with 5 other photos to take they will fortify that yes they are going to taste beer! So I compose, meter and click. Nice shot, not to busy with people up front and your eye is lead to all the tents and hustle and bustle of people in the background.




This was a bonus I never thought that a cigar maker would actually be at a beer fest. Let alone one that is actually rolling a cigar from scratch. Nice, very nice. Nothing like sitting around chewing the fat and smoking a good cigar with friendswhile tasting some of the best beer in town. As tempting as it was I held off my urges to taste, taste, taste, until I was done I don’t believe using the power of the press to gain access for my personal pleasure. Makes a bad image for the rest of the real press out there and me of course. So I held off.



Sometimes you can manage to meet some interesting characters out there. This was one of them. Interesting colorful tattoos, interesting persona, and a love for a good beer and laugh. Other photos that were taken were of a large still type setup under a tent with lots of people hanging around to get tips on how to make your own brew from these guys, people getting their beers, and the people pouring them.


I am sure by now your asking "where are the photos of the brewing setups, or the beer trucks?" Well that would be too obvious. Of course I took those photos but to be more specific you have to look at everything. For my assignment I have a 6 photo spread to shoot for so I can't have all beer trucks and brewery's in it. I also have to concentrate on people. That is they want for the spread the people of the county that most likely read the publication. There are other things to focus on during these events other than the main reason and people. This helps tell a bigger story. Thankfully I have a 6 spread shoot to shoot for. Otherwise this guy above would have been in a shot with a brewery and all it signage with one of the pretty little (not really little) bartenders pouring the beer skillfully into his plastic mug while a dozen others wait patiently in the sun.


Again as usual please feel free to comment. I mean it, really I can take it.

Peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment